Sapienza takes care of Sapienza. Restorations of our University's works of art continue
After the restoration of the great mural by Mario Sironi in the Rectorate Building's Aula Magna, presented during the celebrations for the 80th anniversary of the Main Campus, the collaboration between Sapienza and the Istituto centrale per il restauro di Roma (Icr) continues. Some of the pieces in our University's collection have recently been restored, thanks to the work of restorers and students of the Scuola di alta formazione dell'Istituto, and in agreement with the Soprintendenza speciale di Roma.
Eliana Billi for Sapienza University and Laura D'Agostino for the Icr are coordinating the work, which has involved some ancient stone sculptures and four oil paintings on canvas from the 18th century depicting landscapes, currently on display in the Rectorate building. These are the first interventions that will continue on other works of art belonging to the Sapienza collection.
The collaboration between Sapienza and the Istituto Centrale del Restauro, founded in 1939 and directed at the beginning by Cesare Brandi, goes back a long way and is based on Brandi's free teaching at the Institute of Art History of the University since 1935, and on his teaching, the first in Italy, of Theory and History of Restoration of Cultural Heritage, which today continues in the Master's Degree programmes in Art History of the Department of History, Anthropology, Religion, Art and Performing Arts.