International meeting with representatives of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
On April 11, 2022, Sapienza hosted an international meeting with the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL, https://www.embl.org/) to renew the existing collaboration and develop initiatives and strategies to promote sustainability and inclusion.
- Edith Heard, Director General EMBL
- Plamena Markova, Head of International Relations
- Cornelius Gross, Interim Head of EMBL Rome
- Hana Jurina, Senior International Relations Officer
- Bruno Botta, Deputy Rector for International Affairs
- Marco Oliverio, Director of the Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"
- Irene Bozzoni, Contact person for the Memorandum of Understanding - Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"
- Fulvio Cruciani, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin" - Chair of the Genetics and Molecular Biology PhD programme
- Andrea Mele, Department of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"
- Marco Tripodi, Department of Molecular Medicine
- Maria Ester Scarano, Director of the International Office
- Giovanni Maria Vianello, Head of International Agreements Unit
After the Memorandum of Understanding renewal, Professor Edith Heard presented the new programme 2022-26: Molecules to Ecosystems.
Further collaborations between EMBL and Sapienza and training and outreach activities, such as the "Summer in Science" programmes for students from higher education institutions in the Lazio region to be held at the EMBL branch in Rome, were discussed as part of the main objectives.
Previous collaborations between Sapienza and EMBL have led to a number of activities, including joint doctoral programmes, scientific publications, seminars, teaching and tutoring activities and sharing of infrastructure and services.