Pyrgi Archaeological Dig Webcam
From September 2 to 30, one of the most intriguing archaeological sites in Lazio (near Santa Severa, 50 km. from Rome) will open to the public again.
The port and sanctuary of Pyrgi played a key role in the history of the Ancient Mediterranean. Caere, present day Cerveteri, was one of the most important Etruscan cities and grew wealthy through its control of maritime traffic. Pyrgi was the first landing port for those sailing the Tyrrhenian from the South.
The Sanctuary of Pyrgi is one of the few mentioned by ancient literary sources and is related to crucial historical events determining the political and economic balance of the Mediterranean area. The Greeks considered it sacred to Uni, identified with the Phoenician Astarte and the Greek Leucothea, the white goddess of the sea.
The area was developed from the 6 century BC when Thefarie Velianas, the Tyrant of Cerveteri, started the great project that in fifty years led to the erection of the monumental area.
The archaeological mission, which has been conducted by Sapienza University for over 50 years old, have unearthed the remains of one of the most important ancient sanctuaries in Etruria, famous for its mention in Greek and Latin texts, just south of the Santa Severa Castle. Excavations at Pyrgi began in 1957 and the archaeological site has been used to train generations of Italian and foreign archaeologists.
Current excavations, which are underway in the area between the sanctuary and the port, are contributing to a better understanding of Pyrgi's urban structure (viability, cadastral division, neighbourhood organisation), possible defensive systems (evoked by the same Greek name "Pyrgoi" - the towers) and the relationship with the "Maritime Colony" founded by Romans in 273 BC.
Moreover, thanks to the collaboration amongst Sapienza University, the CNR Institute of Crystallography, MIBACT and the Regione Lazio, a live webcam allows anyone interested to view the archaeological activities every day from 8 am to 5 pm