The Sapienza Statute has recognized the departments a leading role in the articulation of the University.
The departments are primary structures competent in the field of organization and management of research activities and educational activities. They belong to a specific faculty which has the task of coordinating and evaluating its activities.
The departments define the objectives to be achieved during the year, elaborate the three-year plan of research activities, propose the didactic organization and the relative modifications of the study courses, propose the activation of PhDs, masters, high-level training activities, they manage the technical-administrative staff assigned to the structure.
They have organizational and administrative autonomy with regard to all contractual and conventional measures of expenditure.They have financial resources on the basis of which they define the recruitment needs and decide the requests for competition and the calls of the professors. The organs of the departments are the Department Council, the Director and the Joint Scientific Committee.
The departments have their own regulations approved by the Department Council according to a standard scheme approved by the University's governing bodies.
Below is the list of departments' sites, at the top right you can consult a summary page with the updated names of the department directors.
- Architecture and Design
- Anatomical Histological Medical Legal Sciences and Locomotor Apparatus
- Ancient World Studies
- Astronautical, Electrical and Energy Engineering
- Basic and Applied Sciences for Engineering
- Biochemical Sciences "Alessandro Rossi Fanelli"
- Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin"
- Chemical Engineering Materials Environment
- Chemistry and Technology of Drugs
- Civil, Building and Environmental Engineering
- Clinical and Molecular Medicine
- Clinical Internal, Anesthesiological and Cardiovascular Sciences (in Italian) (which includes the former 'Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties' and 'Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Nephrologic, Anaesthetic and Geriatric Sciences')
- Communication and Social Research
- Computer, Control and Management Engineering "Antonio Ruberti"
- Computer Science
- PDTA - Design and Architectural, Territorial, Environmental Technologies
- Dynamic and Clinical Psychology
- Earth Sciences
- Economics and Law
- Environmental Biology
- European, American and Intercultural Studies
- Experimental Medicine (in Italian)
- General Surgery, Surgical Specialities "Paride Stefanini" (in Italian)
- History, Anthropology, Religion, Arts and Performing Arts (which includes the former department of History, Cultures, Religions)
- History, Representation and Restoration of Architecture
- Human Neuroscience (in Italian)
- Information Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunications
- Italian Institute of Oriental Studies
- Juridical and Economic Studies
- Law and Economics of Productive Activities
- Legal Studies
- Literature and Modern Cultures (which includes the former Department of Document Studies, Linguistics and Geography and Classical and Modern Studies)
- Maternal Infantile and Urological Sciences (which includes the former Department of Pediatrics and Pediatric Neuropsychiatry and Gynecology-Obstetrics & Urology)
- Mathematics "Guido Castelnuovo"
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Medico-Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies
- Methods and Models for Economics, Territory and Finance
- Molecular Medicine
- Neurosciences, Mental Health and Sensory Organs
- Oral and Maxillo-Facial Sciences
- Physiology and Pharmacology "Vittorio Erspamer"
- Political Science
- Public Health and Infectious Diseases
- Radiological Sciences, Oncology and Anatomical Pathology
- Sense Organs
- Social and Developmental Psychology
- Social Sciences and Economics
- Statistical Sciences
- Structural and Geotechnical Engineering
- Surgery " Pietro Valdoni"
- Surgical and Medical Sciences and Translational Medicine
- Surgical Sciences
- Translational and Precision Medicine