Scriita FAQ

PhD Programmes Office


I would like to attend a PhD course, what do I have to do to enrol?

PhD courses candidates must take an admission examination. The call is published every year around mid-June and the exams must be taken by September. 
Vai alla pagina dei Dottorati

What documents do I have to submit with my application form?

Foreign students must submit extra documentation (as indicated in PhD Call Articles 4 and 5 of the call), while registration is considered complete for Italian citizens once the first instalment of tuition fees is paid.

How many programmes may I apply to?

There is no limit to the amount of applications that you can present, but you must pay the taxes separately for each application.

I am a foreign student and I would like to study for a PhD in Italy. What should I do?

There are two possibilities for foreign students:

1.     A call is usually published in March: Vai alla pagina Dottorati

2.     Foreign students may also participate in the call that is published around mid-June either applying for the scholarship or as supernumerary students. The enrolment procedures for foreign students are described in articles 4 and 5 of the call: Vai all'elenco dei corsi

When will the examinations for the programme I’m interested in be held?

Usually the dates of the exams are specified in the call and no further communication is given. If the exams dates aren’t specified in the call, applicants will receive a registered mail with the date 15 days before the first written test.

When is the deadline? I’ve heard it was November 30, but I have been awarded a PhD and I still haven’t heard from anyone.

There is no a fixed deadline to enrol in the first year. It depends on when the examination was held, on when the documents were delivered to the PhD Office and on our evaluation schedule. The deadline is fixed when the documents have been checked to verify the applications and the publication of the official results.

When the official results are published, we first send an email to the candidates who have obtained scholarships – to verify that all scholarships are accepted – and then to the winners without scholarships. Obviously, the deadlines for students with and without scholarships are different.

How can I get a Sapienza e-mail address?

Please complete and submit the following form: Faculty and Department E-mail Request Form

How can I get a Sapienza Student Card?

Access your Infostud Profile (menù on the upper righthand side) and select "Card studente" to reach the application form.
Further information is available here 

What must I do to enrol in the second/third year of my PhD Programme?

Once you have been admitted to the following year of your PhD Programme, you will have to:
- Scholarship holders must pay the tax stamp (€16.00) on their fee slip (downloadable from Infostud) 
- Students without scholarships must pay the tax stamp (€16.00) on their fee slip (downloadable from Infostud) and Regional Tax (€140.00).

I'm a scholarship holder and must travel abroad for research purposes. Can my scholarship be increased? How can I apply for an increase?

Before leaving, you will have to obtain your coordinator's authorisation on official letterhead, indicating the departure and return dates (day/month/year). If you travel to a country that has not health agreements with Italy, you will also have to contact the Insurance Office to activate insurance for your stay abroad.
At the end of your stay abroad, your host university or organisation must provide you with a certificate, also indicating the beginning and end dates of your activity abroad.
Once you are back in Italy, you have to submit both documents to the PhD Office to receive your increase (max. 50%) for each day of your stay abroad.

What is the "Fondo di funzionamento" (operating fund) for the doctorate, how can I use it?

Sapienza University establishes yearly  the PhD budget including  10% of the amount of the fellowship for each  PhD students enrolled in the second and third year  as established by  DM 45/2013. This amount has to be used for research activities in Italy and abroad and for the proper functioning of the course.

Expenditure in the following items is eligible:

- PhD students' mobility;

- Reimbursement of examination external members' expenses;

- Lectures and seminars;

- Property for inventory listing;

- Consumables;

- Postage and consumables for competitive examinations;

- Information and educational material and services;

PhD students can ask the Coordinator to use the fund for research activities and mobility until the final exam.

The operating fund is deposited in the account of the Department running the PhD course. The Department has the responsibility of reporting annually the expenses.

I need a certificate, but I cannot come to the office. How can I get it?

You can download certificates with an official digital stamp directly from Infostud, even in English.

I'm a PhD Student at Sapienza and would like to have my thesis jointly supervised with a foreign university. How can I do this?

All the information you require is available at this page: Joint Thesis Supervision
Your final evaluation and six original copies of your thesis signed by your PhD Coordiantor and Italian Thesis Director (3 in Italian and three in the language of the foreign university) must be submitted to the PhD Office as soon as possible for signature by Sapienza's Rector.

How can I obtain a “Doctor Europaeus”?

All the information you require is available at this page: "Doctor Europaeus"

I have been awarded a scholarship for the call reserved to foreign students. Can I activate a co-supervision for my thesis with a University that isn’t Italian?

Students who have won a scholarship for the call reserved for foreign students who have graduated abroad, can activate a thesis co-supervision, but cannot benefit from the 50% scholarship increase for stays abroad.

Can I carry out assistance activities in a Hospital?

Assistance activity must be authorized. For authorization at the S. Andrea General Hospital, you must present a formal request to the Rector and submit acceptance letters to the PhD sector, to the programme coordinator, and to the Hospital Manager, as well as a CV and a medical certificate.

I am pregnant. Can I take advantage of maternity leave?

Bill 45/2013 clearly specifies: "6. PhD students can enjoy maternity leave measures as specified in the Ministry of Work and Social Security Decree, dated July 12, 2007, and published on the Gazzetta Ufficiale N. 247 (Oct. 23, 2007)." Read the ADI Guide to Maternity.
While on maternity leave, PhD students may apply to INPS to receive their welfare coverage or turn to a CAF or "Patronato" Office for help.

I am about to receive my PhD Degree. What must I do?

Before your final exam and thesis discussion, you must complete the Almalaurea Questionnaire and present the application receipt to your PhD Exam Commission.

After your final exam, you must deposit your thesis on the IRIS Platform.

I am a scholarship holder and have received the last instalment of my grant. How can I apply for DIS-COLL unemployment as determined by Bill N. 81/2017?

As of July 1, 2017, DIS-COLL welfare has been extended to all PhD scholarship holders and contract researchers. For further information, please consult INPS Circular N.115.

I already have a PhD degree. Can I enrol in a new programme?

Even if you already have a PhD degree, you can enrol in a new programme (but without a scholarship) if you pass the admission exam. However, the subject and scientific area must be different from that in which you obtained your first PhD.

My PhD Certificate was stolen. Can I obtain a duplicate?

The original certificate on parchment is only presented once. However, you can request a duplicate by presenting the following to the PhD Office: application with €16 tax stamp, original copy of your theft report and payment of €75 fee on slip received from the office 


It is now possible to collect PhD Certificates obtained within 31st december 2018. Pergamenas can be withdrawn at PhD office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 08:30 to 12:00, on Tuesdays and Thurdays from 14:30 to 16:30.
Those who obtained the title within 31st December 2016 have to bring a valid document and a €16,00 stamp duty.
Those who obtained the title within 31st December 2017 have to bring a valid document and proof of the valid payment of the €16,00 virtual stamp duty. To download the bulletin, you have to login to Infostud, click on Payment slips -> Created payment slips -> Payment slips to print. For the methods of payment, you can visit
Those who cannot personally withdraw their certificate may authorize someone else. In this case, the authorized person must provide our office with:
- copy of valid document of both him/her and the delegator;
- a written authorization signed by the delegator.

IRIS PhD Thesis Archive

After having completed their final exam, doctoral students are required to submit their thesis to the IRIS Catalogue.

This is important for two fundamental reasons. It provides greater visibility to research results and allows the National Libraries in Rome and Florence to add all dissertations to their archives.

To access IRIS you need a university e-mail account and should follow the instructions provided in the VademecumIRIS.

Digital Stamp

PHD students can used INFOSTUD to print documents concerning their university career, final exams, entrance exam results, etc. The system includes an official digital stamp on all documents. Students will only need to add a physical €16 digital stamp to the documents for full validity.








© Sapienza Università di Roma - Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma - (+39) 06 49911 - CF 80209930587 PI 02133771002